Washington Avenue at Prytania St.: Elevation: 5 ft. 8 in. above MSL
Lafayette Cemetery No. 1 in the Garden District is the oldest of the seven city operated cemeteries in New Orleans. Lafayette is the American cemetery, while St. Louis is a Creole cemetery; Irish & German occupants are more numerous versus French & Spanish in St. Louis. Early residents died of Yellow Fever.
There are society tombs for several volunteer fireman organizations of the period, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, German Presbyterian Community, Home For Destitute Orphan Boys, Poydras Orphans Home, YMCA, and the New Orleans Home for Incurables.
The City of Lafayette
Several small settlements grew up at steamboat landings a few miles upstream of New Orleans. The original Lafayette began as one of these. The sugar plantation once owned by Francois Livaudais and situated in Jefferson Parish along the Mississippi River between the present Philip, Pleasant and LaSalle streets was sold to developers in 1832. It was subdivided and incorporated in April, 1833 as the City of Lafayette, and included the land that would later become known as the Garden District.
© 2013 charles crain photography; all rights reserved